What is modern functional orthodontics?
Functional Orthodontics – tooth position, the ratio of the jawbone, the bite associated with such important life functions as swallowing or breathing. In addition, the head, neck and body posture is very much related to the position of teeth. Any treatment that leaves these connections out of consideration harbors more likely side effects, longer and more intense treatments or may end with the rapid regression of the result.
How can we take these connections into account?
- On the one hand, if we know that the position of the teeth is part of a complex problem, the treatment also has to be complex. The orthodontic treatment may not be the only measure, it must be combined with other therapeutic elements such as breathing exercises, swallowing training, training to improve the body posture or other therapies (eg. manual therapy).
- On the other hand, orthodontics may not challenge the biological interests of our organism. This means that modern functional orthodontics does not apply tooth extraction, or bone cleavage or any other treatment devices, which are against the development direction of the airways and jawbone. The applied braces are not large-scale they do not hinder the work of the tongue and refrain from large forces (eg. orthodontics of light forces).
Price of first consultation for adults
- Treatment plan, other diagnostic tests
- Documents on pendrive
- First consultation fee will be deducted from the treatment fee in case treatment is started in 3 months after the consultation.
Frequently asked questions
Which invisible orthodontic method is the best?
To answer this question, first, the treatment goal must be defined.
In this regard, the first consultation is important. We select the appropriate braces in cooperation with the patient with regard to the specific objectives. In complicated cases usually braces glued from the lingual side are needed, sometimes a special combination of braces is recommended.
It may happen that some treatment tasks can be treated with invisible orthodontics, for the entire treatment, however, another plan is created. Our patients can usually choose between a comprehensive and a cosmetic treatment.
What is different with functional orthodontics?
The goal of treatment varies and thus other means are necessary. It is also important that the orthodontist and the patient cooperate for the sake of success with professionals who are responsible for setting the other functions. Functional orthodontics is therefore a trust-based complex teamwork.
What should I consider when selecting a specialist?
Orthodontic treatment is a medical procedure, based on mutual trust between doctor and patient. Equally important is the medical equipment, the expertise and patient-oriented attitude.
How can I decide which method suits me best?
Today it is not easy for patients to find their way in the subject of orthodontics. Not only that the essential element of orthodontics treatment is the brace, the success of the treatment will be influenced by numerous other factors.
Which are these factors?
- Detailed consultationwith the specialist to define the patient’s needs. It is important to know the exact expectations, because based on that we can recommend the most appropriate brace.
- Comprehensive professionalmedical examination
- Individual treatment plan
- Joint selection ofthe appropriate braces. It is our responsibility to provide detailed information to support the patient in the decision.
In most cases the patient may chose between a short invisible cosmetic treatment and a longer functional treatment, which is much more advantageous in terms of smile-aesthetic and general health. If the teeth are filled, decayed and their color or shape also makes the treatment necessary, a cosmetic treatment may be more adequate, or even aesthetic dentistry and the aplication of veneers.
However, there are many reasons for a more conservative orthodontic treatment. If the teeth are intact or instant orthodontics would result in a big loss of tooth material it is worth considering a type of rapid orthodontic treatment.
Cornerstones of the ideal procedure:
- Comprehensive,detailed consultation
- Building a relationship of trust between doctor and patient
- Tailor-made orthodontic treatment according to the patient’s individual needs.